What Photoshop Color Settings do you use?

Hello!
I process my watercolor works in Photoshop and I’ve noticed that colors of the final pictures much differ depending on the Working Space indicated in Photoshop Color Settings.
I’ve used sRGB IEC61966-2.1 and Adobe RGB (1998).
What working space do you use? What can you recommend to preserve the best quality of the final picture?

This is what I usually use bcs colours on screen are rappresented more accuratley…

Thank you for your answer. There are only such options in my Photoshop:screen

Yep… use sRGB IEC61966-2.1 to have a better rappresentation (on screen) of the colors :slight_smile:

Thank you very much! Good luck:)

Hey @tanafortuna !
I usually use Adobe RGB because if you want to switch to CMYK you don’t have too much color changes. This is super important especially if you don’t know where your work will be used afterwards.

Hope this answers your question!
Ana

Hello Ana!
It’s very important moment. Thank you very much for the answer.

вт, 6 апр. 2021 г., 22:01 ana & yvy via Creative Market Community <creativemarket2@discoursemail.com>:

You’re very welcome! I just double checked your main question and I’m not sure if this is sth you’ve thought about but the screens most people are using are not calibrated. So although there is this myth about iMac screens are calibrated - they aren’t in the sense of “industrial standard”.
So if this is maybe sth you want to work on I would recommend to use an external calibrator like x-rite for example. I don’t think this is necessary for daily use at all especially because it can get a bit pricey but just wanted to throw it into the discussion to cover another aspect of the whole situation.

Thank you for the advanced answer, Ana. I know about the calibration problem. Besides, I’m not an iMac’s owner;)
The fact is if I save my pictures in Adobe RGB, they look quite faded.
But I really don’t know where my works will be used by the customers. That’s why I’m very concerned about the quality of the final product.

вт, 6 апр. 2021 г., 22:51 ana & yvy via Creative Market Community <creativemarket2@discoursemail.com>:

1 Like

The faded feeling is actually sth you experience when you switch from a non calibrated (often very shiny and intense) to a calibrated screen. I wouldn’t twist my head too much around it. If you use Adobe rgb you can prevent issues when your client switches to cmyk and this should be the main point to look at since it saves you and your client a lot of headaches :upside_down_face:. If you have the feeling your watercolor scans look faded in general, try to use curves on top and than look into the already included curve settings “linear contrast” (I’m currently not on my Mac so I hope I’m telling you the right setting :yum: but you will find it just in the curve panel above the diagram as a dropdown ). This will boost your colors just a tiny bit but not over saturate them. If you want to boost the lightness in general to make your designs more shiny so to speak, without going too intense with the saturation: use curves, push the brightness up and than set the curves adjustment layer to luminosity blend mode.

Maybe one of these or both combined together offer you a more put together feeling :slightly_smiling_face:

I really appreciate your answer, Ana. I would try implementing your advices in my future works. Thank you! :slightly_smiling_face:

Which file format you use when you save your files? Do you use the option »save as …« or »save for web …«? It’s possible that you not embed your color profile into the file.
Also important: Which program you use to open your saved file?

Thank you for the reply, Alex.
I usually save the work via “Save as…” and open the files using Microsoft photos.

пт, 9 апр. 2021 г., 23:13 Alex Plesovskich via Creative Market Community <creativemarket2@discoursemail.com>: