Vector Pattern Files - Help please!

Hello Everyone!

I am very comfortable making patterns in Adobe Photoshop but recently learnt how to make them using vectors in Adobe Illustrator.

What are the best practice in terms of file organizations for clients? How do you organize everything neatly?

I am so lost and can’t figure out how to properly lay out everything.

I created my repeat using the pattern option without a background. Then I saved that swatch. After that I added a colored background on a layer under the elements and a bounding box with no fill and no strokes at the bottom and used a clipping mask. Saved that swatch as well.

Do you provide a file like this with a couple of swatches (for color variations) or one Ai file for each color variation? Do you keep a swatch with the original swatch (the one without the background) for the client to edit in case they need it?

For the swatch with the colored background, I swatched a skillshare class saying to merge all the layers together and to crop the elements that are outside the artboard. Which I did and saved another swatch named Merged.

After that, I created a second artboard (1200px square and drag my merged swatch from the swatch panel to my new artboard and aligned it in the center. Then Export > Save as jpg > Artboard 2 > Selected Art Optimization

When I open that jpg in Photoshop and look at the size, it is 5001 x 5000 px wide … So confusing. Then I click > Define Pattern After that I open a new file of 10 000px wide to look at my repeat and fill it with a Pattern Layer Mask. Then I see a white line across the document. I feel so discouraged.

I would like to include in my collection for Creative Market. A Ai File for my clients to modify the pattern tile repeat as they wish, for them to be able to change the colours as well.

Then I would like to include a EPS file. And a transparent SVG and PNG (5000px wide approximatively) and a JPG same size, all at 300dpi.

How do you create everything? Organize everything? I also have another Ai File with all the graphic elements of my collections and a png (and svg for each).

Thanks so much,

Elena

Hey @ElenaComteStudio so for my patterns I only include an eps file, the tileable repeat, and a 3600 x 3600 swatch of the pattern in both PNG and JPG. If I were to do a pattern in multiple color palettes I would have all of the color options in one file and I would have one original pattern in the file. All of the other color options would be in the swatches panel. So the way I set up my file is I will have the original pattern on one layer that is turned off so you can’t see it. Then I have a the pattern block or merged layer showing on top. I don’t know if you watched Elizabeth Olwens video on skillshare, but that is where I got the idea from. If you want, I can send you one of my patterns so you can open it up and actually see how I set it up. Just let me know and I will send it over through email.

1 Like

Hi Kelcie @KMcCormackDesigns !

Thank you for helping me. This is so generous of you. So you don’t include the Ai File? Why would you prefer an EPS file if I can ask?

Ok yes amazing. Can I send you my file? I can also have a look at yours. Here is my email: contact@elenacomtestudio.com

I created a first layer with the repeat tile (without any background). I created that first repeat using the pattern tool option so the swatch is editable. Then I created a repeat tile by positioning all the elements at the same place and I added a colored background. Called this layer Original which is not editable with the pattern tool but manually. I copied that layer and merged all the elements (and cropped). I added that repeat tile in the swatch panel and called this Merged. Do you think is it ok? Will people be confuse…

When I export a jpg or png, and open it in psd, I see a really tiny white stroke across the repeat. So I saved in pdf and opened it in photoshop. And then saved it in jpg and the stroke disappeared.

The other thing is that I created my repeat in Ai on an artboard that measure 3500px x 3500px and when I open the pdf in Photoshop, it measures about 14000px at 300 dpi which is so huge. Why is that?

Thank you so so much

Elena

So I use EPS because it can be opened in multiple software even software that is not an Adobe product so it just gives people options on where they want to edit it. With an EPS file, if someone wanted to open it up in Adobe Illustrator they still can, but they would have to right click on it and say open with Adobe Illustrator. I will say that lately I have gotten a few questions from people asking them to send an AI file because they don’t know that you can open an EPS file in Adobe Illustrator. You might want to include the AI file anyways so you don’t have to deal with those questions. Yes, please send me your file. I will try to see if I can figure out the white line problem for you. I’ll send you an email with one of my files so you can have a look around also.