@drew.coffman Hey Drew,
I was wondering if Creative Market could set-up a Master document that we (shop owners) can access and contribute towards that included information on known pirate sites and the successful method of getting our work removed?
To explain further, I’m sure all shop owners can agree that it’s incredibly time consuming hunting down the service provider or hosting site of the culprit. Sending a DMCA to the actual infringing website is mostly ignored so it’s often more effective to send the DMCA to the actual hosting site, but this can be time consuming, plus these despicable sites hide behind a reverse proxy or pass-through security service. So it would be great for people to start sharing info they have collated already with others to save time and also fight this terrible trend that seems to be getting worse.
I was thinking of a doc could be set up where it includes the infringing website name, then columns with the hosting site and contact details, plus a column for notes or any other advice people could add where they got a positive response and their work removed, which would be an enormous help to us all.
For example, cgispread a well-known piracy culprit who regularly ignores DMCAs, it’s hosting site is DigitalOcean and they have a form here https://www.digitalocean.com/company/contact/#abuse where you can report their client (cgispread) plus they respond, although after two weeks but at least they respond and the work is removed.
Imagine a document with all this info neatly organised where others can look-up sites and related info for successful takedowns, plus where it can be continuously updated as people get more info to add.
That would be a HUGE time saver!
Here’s why I think Creative Market should assist us in setting this up:
- It appears, from overwhelming feedback from shop owners, that a lot of the pirate websites are getting material from Creative Market. Helping us with this will go a long way into making us feel Creative Market cares about us and is willing to help.
- Creative Market has the reach in terms of shop owners, this forum would be a perfect place to house such a document.
- Creative Market should have a strong interest in fighting the fight against piracy as it has a direct impact on sales and the industry in general.
- It wouldn’t really take much time to set-up, maybe a Google docs that’s pinned somewhere here on the forum in a prominent position and not hidden in some forum thread.
- It’s always mentioned that we should never include pirate website links to encourage click-rate etc so this would be a perfect solution for that as the links would be in a doc and not on a web page.
Hope you’ll consider this and help us fight this. Theft and piracy is a massive threat on this industry and has an impact both in time and income. We need to help each other, it’s the only way we’ll get anywhere if we stand together and sharing knowledge is a great start!