Request for Master contact file for sending DMCA takedowns to pirate sites and service providers

@drew.coffman Hey Drew,

I was wondering if Creative Market could set-up a Master document that we (shop owners) can access and contribute towards that included information on known pirate sites and the successful method of getting our work removed?

To explain further, I’m sure all shop owners can agree that it’s incredibly time consuming hunting down the service provider or hosting site of the culprit. Sending a DMCA to the actual infringing website is mostly ignored so it’s often more effective to send the DMCA to the actual hosting site, but this can be time consuming, plus these despicable sites hide behind a reverse proxy or pass-through security service. So it would be great for people to start sharing info they have collated already with others to save time and also fight this terrible trend that seems to be getting worse.

I was thinking of a doc could be set up where it includes the infringing website name, then columns with the hosting site and contact details, plus a column for notes or any other advice people could add where they got a positive response and their work removed, which would be an enormous help to us all.

For example, cgispread a well-known piracy culprit who regularly ignores DMCAs, it’s hosting site is DigitalOcean and they have a form here https://www.digitalocean.com/company/contact/#abuse where you can report their client (cgispread) plus they respond, although after two weeks but at least they respond and the work is removed.

Imagine a document with all this info neatly organised where others can look-up sites and related info for successful takedowns, plus where it can be continuously updated as people get more info to add.

That would be a HUGE time saver!

Here’s why I think Creative Market should assist us in setting this up:

• It appears, from overwhelming feedback from shop owners, that a lot of the pirate websites are getting material from Creative Market. Helping us with this will go a long way into making us feel Creative Market cares about us and is willing to help.
  • Creative Market has the reach in terms of shop owners, this forum would be a perfect place to house such a document.
  • Creative Market should have a strong interest in fighting the fight against piracy as it has a direct impact on sales and the industry in general.
  • It wouldn’t really take much time to set-up, maybe a Google docs that’s pinned somewhere here on the forum in a prominent position and not hidden in some forum thread.
  • It’s always mentioned that we should never include pirate website links to encourage click-rate etc so this would be a perfect solution for that as the links would be in a doc and not on a web page.

Hope you’ll consider this and help us fight this. Theft and piracy is a massive threat on this industry and has an impact both in time and income. We need to help each other, it’s the only way we’ll get anywhere if we stand together and sharing knowledge is a great start!

4 Likes

This is a great idea!

I second this. It’s a serious problem that will only be solved by a joint effort such as this.

Hey @Glanz Great Idea.
The piracy epidemic is out of control right now! I’m a working on a idea of setting up a subscription service for designers where you pay a monthly fee and either A: a online piracy expert handles the DMCA’s and google takedowns for you, or B: A hacker disrupts the pirate sites enough that it does not make it worth their while (ddos attacks and things like that). You just submit links when you find them and pay a certain amount each month. I can no longer spend 2 hours a day trying to get my work taken down!
Of course Creative Market could afford to do this for us but they say legally you have to submit your own DMCAs. I’m not sure this is true as i’ve found legal teams do this on others behalf all the time.

We as an industry really need to find a solution to this and i think it’s best to team up. Piracy is hurting all the legit digital product sites right now. I wonder if you could talk to Tom Ross about this or put it out there on the podcast?

Thanks @NewTropical for chiming in! I think your idea sounds amazing and if it’s affordable you’ll have many artists and creators interested in such a service.

Regarding Creative Market and Design Cuts doing this on our behalf, as far as I know you would need to sign a power of attorney to someone who is representing you and claiming copyright infringement on your behalf. As it’s a legal claim, I don’t think anyone can just do that on your behalf.

But I do however think that marketplaces should try and assist their creators as much as possible. And although Creative Market has instructions on how to send a DMCA I still think they can do more. And starting a master file with helpful contacts and info would be a great start and an opportunity to show the pirate sites that they also mean business and will be joining creators in the fight against them.

@drew.coffman It would be great to hear from you regarding such a serious and important topic. Thank you!

Sounds good.

I particularly like the idea of using a hacker (would this be legal though) just to spam them with error messages etc, which could all be designed using our wonderful products for a nice slice of karma/irony.

Hey all, very interested to see this discussion, I know it’s an important (and sensitive) subject.

The issue of piracy is an extremely complicated one. Primarily our best method for preventing it as a marketplace is to do everything we can to ensure that fraudulent transactions don’t occur — something we work to improve every day. However, preventing piracy off the marketplace is much more complicated. Though in many cases the fraud is clear, there are also times where it’s trickier to understand who’s in the wrong: the website or those uploading to the website. This is part of why the DMCA system is in place, to provide a system to take down improperly uploaded material from websites that don’t understand they’re being used for fraud :slight_smile:

On a personal note, I think making a list of pirate websites well-publicized might do more harm than good. I’m not sure I would want to give more eyes to these websites, for obvious reasons! It’s also worth noting that pirate websites come and go as they’re spotted, which means that any such document would likely go out of date pretty quickly.

We’ll continue to work to make our marketplace transactions as clear as possible, while also ensuring that customers have easy access to your assets so that sales aren’t hindered by a clunky checkout. I’ll also pass this thread on to the rest of the team so they can see this (super valuable!) feedback.

Let me know if you have any more questions!

@Glanz thanks for starting the conversation. @drew.coffman thanks for your response, but if CM provided a working document to its contributors, I do not see how that would publicize these sites. I am imagining a contributors only document that would be updated by your legal team regularly.

Also, there are several sites that are repeat and gross offenders that do not change their sites or behavior and CM’s bottom line is being affected just as badly as ours by this. Why would CM not want to participate in helping stop piracy? 40% of nothing is nothing. I understand that CM a does not own our copyright and your legal team may rely on that for putting the burden solely on us, but again you’re bottom line is being attacked by this behavior.

Note to all, the best way we’ve been dealing with this is to have Google shut down the search results. You can’t get them all that way, but you can stop “assetname free” from coming up in google results. Submit the DMCA through google. Yes, it’s a massive time suck, but one that does show results. We are also in the process of doing this over other search engines.

Here’s the link to the google DMCA dashboard.

https://www.google.com/webmasters/tools/dmca-dashboard