Q&A with Creative Market - What Assets are Selling Most in 2020?

We’re launching a new series in Discussions called Q&A with Creative Market! I have a lot of amazing conversations with our team about the future of the platform and what we’re working on internally, and I want to create a space where shop owners like you have that same access.

This week we’re talking trends with Laura, our Brand Content Strategist. Obviously, 2020 has brought a lot of changes, and COVID-19 has dramatically impacted the landscape of what types of creative assets are selling and which are not. We want to make sure you have those insights so that you’re set up for success. The great news is that the audience on our marketplace is growing. As individuals and businesses adapt to being “online-only”, the demand for certain types of creative digital assets has gone up, and certain categories like Graphics, Templates, and Add-Ons are seeing dramatic increases in sales.

Laura is here to share what she’s been seeing on the marketplace. This thread will unlock at 9am PT, and we’ll be answering questions live! I’ll post again at that time!

2 Likes

Hi everyone! My name is Laura Busche and I’m part of the marketing team here at Creative Market. Perhaps we’ve met at some point to set up an interview or work on a design tutorial. In planning content for the Creative Market blog, I spend countless hours trying to detect what it is that will reshape the industry next. I thought we could kick off this Q&A with some macro-trends we’ve seen in the marketplace and their impact on specific product types. If you’re more of a visual person, check out these cards instead! :slightly_smiling_face:

!

:rocket: 1. Leaner Design Teams: The economic situation has created an urgency to stay lean and lower operational costs wherever possible. Almost every industry has felt it. For design teams, that has meant finding ways to work smarter and accelerate projects with the help of creators like you. Social templates, icon sets, and illustration kits help teams move faster and are a great resource for times like these. Typography-wise, Display Fonts can also offer that extra uniqueness many design projects need without having to craft, e.g. lettering, from scratch.

:shopping_cart: 2. E-commerce Rush: Many retailers found themselves “suddenly online”, with a need to display their products in the best possible light. Given global lockdowns, photoshoots and elaborate campaigns became very difficult to pull off. Instead, we’ve seen many brands turn to product mockups for print goods, apparel, homewares, among other categories. This is also true for digital marketing pieces like email newsletters, which became an essential medium to reach shoppers — hence the success of templates to make these emails easier to create. For many service brands, being physically separated from buyers meant they had to craft a high-quality online experience for them. Therefore, we’ve also seen ebook and workbook templates rise in popularity; they’re especially helpful for coaches and consultants.

:iphone: 3. Designing On-the-go: There’s a high chance you’re reading this from your phone or tablet! Turns out we’re not only using these devices to communicate, but also design. That means products like mobile Lightroom presets, Procreate brushes, and Canva templates are in high demand.

:art: 4. Democratizing Design: We’re seeing entrepreneurs and individuals with a wide range of design abilities take on the challenge of creating their own brand assets. This trend reveals itself in two ways: easier design tools to empower them (think Canva and presentation apps like Keynote) and more widely compatible file formats (.jpgs and .pngs) to fit their workflow. We’ve also seen branding kits take off, showing how there’s an audience of entrepreneurs willing to learn what it takes to shape their own visual identity. Beyond a logo, this DIYer is also looking for easier ways to produce long-form design pieces like magazines and catalogs, where we’ve also spotted an interest in ready-to-use templates.

:earth_asia: 5. Diversity & Inclusion: 2020 has elevated global awareness around inequality and what it means for different groups. As a society, we’ve reflected on how gender, race, ethnicity, disabilities, and religious beliefs impact our opportunities in life. Designers have a unique role to play in that we create visuals that end up representing or misrepresenting different groups. That said, we’ve seen an increased interest in assets that do represent that diversity in categories like Photos, Graphics, and Templates. For fonts, offering ample language support is a way to honor our global differences.

Would love to answer any questions about these or other trends you’ve seen!

Our trend cards linked above were built using a stunning social media template by Sparrow & Snow https://creativemarket.com/SparrowAndSnow/4871830-Step-by-Step-Carousel-Templates)

7 Likes

Thank you this is really helpful!

3 Likes

Now I think you need to create 1 more section for machine tools. Now the population is very actively using embroidery machines. Which is sewn under the design of different things on clothes. Using the CorelDRAW program and the Wilcom Programs, etc. I myself worked as a designer in 1 company. And they searched for ready-made works on the Internet and barely found them. Which was asked for $100-200 for 1 design. I think now it will be a great audience reach for Creativemarket. Thanks!

4 Likes

This was really helpful!

2 Likes

So glad this was helpful, @nantia and @Digi_Life !

@MajesticThemes , if you have any requests for Creative Market like that, put them in the ‘Feature Request’ category! Someone just suggested a ‘category for crafting’ last night!

2 Likes

Hiii, this was so insightful, thank you. As a photoshopper who enjoys creating templates, would you recommend spending some time relaunching my current (and new) template products as Canva templates in addition to Photoshop templates? Do you feel like a lot more people are using Canva in comparison to Photoshop for templates (such as iPhone/tablet/picture frame/print templates etc.)?

2 Likes

Lovely to receive this insight here in our CM community. Thanks for that :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

1 Like

@MajesticThemes How can I find more information about this please? I am an illustrator and I also do embroidery sometimes. I am also working on products to start a shop on CM. Should I create vector illustrations for these machines to be able to convert it to an embroidery? Thank you

1 Like

Hello. The vector can be converted, but it will be of poor quality. You need to manually use special programs like Wilcom. Of course, you need to create a section for this ready-made embroidery that does not require any actions and under the order. I think.!

1 Like

Ok I understand, thank you so much !

Класная идея создать сообщество

This is great to know , really helpful report👍