Master Thread: DMCA/Copyright, Piracy and Fraud

In an effort to help all of our sellers better understand the issue at hand, here is a FAQ regarding copyright issues. We respectfully ask you to read all of this before making new comments here. Thank you!!

Q1: WHAT IF I SEE MY CONTENT SOLD WITHOUT MY PERMISSION ON CM? – or – WHAT IF I SEE SOMEONE ELSE’S POSSIBLY STOLEN CONTENT ON CM?

A: If you see your products being sold on Creative Market without your permission, you should contact our Support Team with the information from the DMCA form here: https://creativemarket1.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/203184340-How-can-I-resolve-a-copyright-dispute- . We’re legally required to hear from the copyright holder with this information before taking action. If you’re not the copyright holder of the product you’re concerned about, we can’t give you specific advice. However, you are welcome to use the “Report” feature on the product page, and we’ll investigate.

Q2: WHAT SHOULD I DO IF I SEE MY MATERIAL ON ANOTHER SITE WITHOUT MY PERMISSION?

A: Since you’re the Copyright holder, you are responsible for sending the site and/or host a DMCA takedown request if you want the product to be removed from the site. You may use this DMCA form: https://creativemarket1.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/203184340-How-can-I-resolve-a-copyright-dispute- . Creative Market can’t do this for you, because you hold the Copyright for your products.

Q3: WHY CAN’T CREATIVE MARKET SEND THE DMCA FOR ME?

A: DMCAs must be sent by the person who holds the Copyright on the product. According to our Terms of Use, even when you add a product to your Creative Market shop, you still hold the Copyright to your material (https://creativemarket.com/terms ). Because you are the copyright holder, you must be the one to send any DMCAs.

Q4: MY PRODUCT HAS ZERO SALES, BUT I SEE IT ON A PIRATE SITE! HOW DID THAT HAPPEN?

Please know, Creative Market would never leak your files. Our goal is to grow the site and drive sales to our sellers because, when our shops succeed, we also succeed. In addition, many of the Creative Market staff members are part of the shop owner community just like you. Because of this, we personally empathize with your concerns, and we appreciate and understand the time and effort it takes to create awesome products. We want to prevent as much fraud as possible. Pirate sites are terrible and we share your pain and hurt when we see Creative Market products being affected by this issue.

Here’s what actually happens when you see your product on a site like this after “no sales:”

1. That sale was flagged in our system as coming from a fraudulent source. When this happens, the transaction goes to the support team; we review it, and if it really is fraud, we refund the credit card and ban the buyer from the site.
  2. Unfortunately, sometimes the “buyer” was able to quickly download your item before they were banned.
  3. You do not get a sale notification because we refunded the sale instead of approving it.

We understand that another option would be to review transactions BEFORE allowing a download, but this isn’t a true option for us because it would result in a negative experience for the 99.8% of buyers who are honest (they would not be able to access their purchase until their transaction was reviewed and shows to be legitimate), and require a very large team of human reviewers.

Q5: IS FRAUD SUCH A HUGE ISSUE ON CREATIVE MARKET?

A: Fraud is actually extremely low on Creative Market. Please keep in mind that all marketplace sites have this problem at about the same level. What varies is the level in which these sites are transparent about piracy. This variation means that sellers on these platforms may or may not be aware of piracy issues.

Q6: WHAT IS CREATIVE MARKET DOING ABOUT THIS?

A: We’ve recently implemented new measures to our fraud detection system that help us more quickly learn about new things fraudsters are trying. With this better way of gathering information, we will be able to block purchases and block downloads for suspicious accounts more accurately. Of course, the world of fraud is constantly changing, so we can’t say this new system will completely prevent fraud. However, with this new system, we will be able to more quickly learn about fraud techniques and we’ll be able to prevent fraud faster than we have in the past.

Guidelines for this thread:

• Please read the FAQ carefully before posting a comment. All comments asking questions that have already been answered in the FAQs will be deleted. This will help keep the thread organized and easy to navigate for staff and shop owners.
• Don’t post links to pirate sites. For security reasons, all comments with such links will be deleted.
• Please keep your comments respectful to Creative Market and ALL shop owners, even if you suspect them of stealing your work. If you have a concern about a specific shop, please contact Support rather than posting links here. https://creativemarket1.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/requests/new

The Piracy of my work is getting out of control!!
This is in no way creative markets fault as there is nothing they can do if people purchase fonts and re-sell them on other websites or give them away for free.
If you google my fonts, the first 1 or 2 searches are legit sites that i sell through then after that are 3-4 pages of sites with my stolen work. There is no way i can keep up with sending DMCA takedowns and requests to google. They often don’t even list an email address or just ignore DMCA takedowns. The sheer amount of piracy means there is no way i can keep up and all my hard work is readily available for free with a quick google search.

Is there any thoughts on how we can tackle this as an industry on a grand scale if DMCAs and google requests are just not enough?

2 Likes

@NewTropical This is tragic problem now days! for now, We have concentration about our work and next plan. May in future we get any solutions for that. Creative market has low piracy issues. As per my experience don’t sell your item at who has subscription base plan/features. they have high rate of piracy issues. What’s your opinion?

1 Like

It was proved years ago - CM do not show up sales from suspicious buyers. He waits for the transaction to finish and when everything is fine - you see the sale. But if it was a fraudulent buy or rejected card operation - you don’t see anything. But your item was already downloaded (and uploaded anywhere).
I think, this must be changed. Because I do track the pirate giveaways. And if I see this problem, I immediately check and write DMCA. But if I don’t know if it happen or not, I don’t track anything.

1 Like

I am fending off this rubbish on a weekly basis, it is absolutely exhausting.

PLEASE! could Creative Market implement a Right Click Blocker so that our listing images and listing descriptions can’t be saved and reused by the scammers.

I am so tired of sending DMCAs at this point, that every time I get a purchase notification from CM where the purchaser’s name is in Chinese characters I almost want to cry.

2 Likes