In an effort to help all of our sellers better understand the issue at hand, here is a FAQ regarding copyright issues. We respectfully ask you to read all of this before making new comments here. Thank you!!
Q1: WHAT IF I SEE MY CONTENT SOLD WITHOUT MY PERMISSION ON CM? – or – WHAT IF I SEE SOMEONE ELSE’S POSSIBLY STOLEN CONTENT ON CM?
A: If you see your products being sold on Creative Market without your permission, you should contact our Support Team with the information from the DMCA form here: https://creativemarket1.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/203184340-How-can-I-resolve-a-copyright-dispute- . We’re legally required to hear from the copyright holder with this information before taking action. If you’re not the copyright holder of the product you’re concerned about, we can’t give you specific advice. However, you are welcome to use the “Report” feature on the product page, and we’ll investigate.
Q2: WHAT SHOULD I DO IF I SEE MY MATERIAL ON ANOTHER SITE WITHOUT MY PERMISSION?
A: Since you’re the Copyright holder, you are responsible for sending the site and/or host a DMCA takedown request if you want the product to be removed from the site. You may use this DMCA form: https://creativemarket1.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/203184340-How-can-I-resolve-a-copyright-dispute- . Creative Market can’t do this for you, because you hold the Copyright for your products.
Q3: WHY CAN’T CREATIVE MARKET SEND THE DMCA FOR ME?
Q4: MY PRODUCT HAS ZERO SALES, BUT I SEE IT ON A PIRATE SITE! HOW DID THAT HAPPEN?
Please know, Creative Market would never leak your files. Our goal is to grow the site and drive sales to our sellers because, when our shops succeed, we also succeed. In addition, many of the Creative Market staff members are part of the shop owner community just like you. Because of this, we personally empathize with your concerns, and we appreciate and understand the time and effort it takes to create awesome products. We want to prevent as much fraud as possible. Pirate sites are terrible and we share your pain and hurt when we see Creative Market products being affected by this issue.
Here’s what actually happens when you see your product on a site like this after “no sales:”
- That sale was flagged in our system as coming from a fraudulent source. When this happens, the transaction goes to the support team; we review it, and if it really is fraud, we refund the credit card and ban the buyer from the site.
- Unfortunately, sometimes the “buyer” was able to quickly download your item before they were banned.
- You do not get a sale notification because we refunded the sale instead of approving it.
We understand that another option would be to review transactions BEFORE allowing a download, but this isn’t a true option for us because it would result in a negative experience for the 99.8% of buyers who are honest (they would not be able to access their purchase until their transaction was reviewed and shows to be legitimate), and require a very large team of human reviewers.
Q5: IS FRAUD SUCH A HUGE ISSUE ON CREATIVE MARKET?
A: Fraud is actually extremely low on Creative Market. Please keep in mind that all marketplace sites have this problem at about the same level. What varies is the level in which these sites are transparent about piracy. This variation means that sellers on these platforms may or may not be aware of piracy issues.
Q6: WHAT IS CREATIVE MARKET DOING ABOUT THIS?
A: We’ve recently implemented new measures to our fraud detection system that help us more quickly learn about new things fraudsters are trying. With this better way of gathering information, we will be able to block purchases and block downloads for suspicious accounts more accurately. Of course, the world of fraud is constantly changing, so we can’t say this new system will completely prevent fraud. However, with this new system, we will be able to more quickly learn about fraud techniques and we’ll be able to prevent fraud faster than we have in the past.
Guidelines for this thread:
• Please read the FAQ carefully before posting a comment. All comments asking questions that have already been answered in the FAQs will be deleted. This will help keep the thread organized and easy to navigate for staff and shop owners.
• Don’t post links to pirate sites. For security reasons, all comments with such links will be deleted.
• Please keep your comments respectful to Creative Market and ALL shop owners, even if you suspect them of stealing your work. If you have a concern about a specific shop, please contact Support rather than posting links here. https://creativemarket1.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/requests/new