How to start a print on demand business with Creative Market assets

Hi everyone!

I just wanted to share this article I wrote for Creative Market, on how to start a print-on-demand business using Creative Market’s assets (from graphics to mockups).

https://creativemarket.com/blog/how-to-start-a-print-on-demand-business

Thought it would be especially helpful for my fellow artists who are putting their eggs in different baskets, especially now when online shopping has gotten even more popular. It might even clear some of your questions about print on demand (which I have asked myself here in the forum).

I hope you find this article useful! <3

2 Likes

Very helpful, thank you!

Thanks for writing this, @palettepursuit !!

1 Like

@palettepursuit have a question regarding if designer submit their own design on pod so they still own copyright?

If it’s seamless pattern and buyer purchase under commercial license then they upload on pod as it is so what about changes?

2 Likes

Selling the content as is on POD is against Creative markets terms they must create a new design, Under creative markets terms a new design consist of 3 or more products, regardless of commercial license. If people want to re-sell others designs as-is there should be another option for this. I know that companies have contacted me directly and have paid me 1,000 for exclusive rights to re-sell content as is for apps and other content. I think there needs to be clarification of this because some customers have bought my textures packs and resold them on etsy with absolutely no changes they literally just uploaded my textures and put their brand on them, as if they designed them themselves and stated that creative market gave them permission because they bought a commercial license.

2 Likes

Keep in mind, when you say Print On Demand, you’re talking about POD apps that allow customers to customize their own end products. These apps have zero security for the art that is uploaded. The seller uploads the full-size 300 dpi production images to the platform. Simply click on the image to download the art - faster and easier than it is to purchase and download the files legally. The vast majority of Print On Demand sites are using these platforms to allow customer to customize the end product. This is a violation of Creative Markets licensing agreement. This should be made clear in any article that is encouraging people to use CM assets.
:x: On-Demand Applications: You can’t allow anyone other than the Licensee (such as an End User) to customize a digital or physical End Product for commercial or non-commercial use. This includes, but is not limited to, “print on demand”, “made to order”, or “download on demand” applications.

1 Like

I had someone buy my bundle of handmade textures for commercial use and literally upload my textures that are for sale for $29.00 for a bundle and had them on etsy for $2 seriously!!! The POD thing is ridiculous too and Its very frustrating that this is happening. My sales have declined enormously and its common sense you cant re-sell something you buy unless you create a new product such as a book cover or flyer that has more than just the one element. For some reason this is not clear or people just dont care.

1 Like