50% Commission Rate for New Shops

Hi there! :slight_smile:

I am new to CM and just made my first sale. My earnings showed half of what the product cost. I was under the impression that CM retains 40% of the sale. Upon asking, I was told that any new shop joining Creative Market will now receive 50% commission from the sale of their products. It seems a bit high, and frankly a bit unfair too as not all shops are charged the same.

This increase in fees is supposedly for marketing efforts. Has anyone noticed an increase in views/sales by the recent commission rate changes?

Thank you!

4 Likes

Excellent question! That is really steep, and no I’m not 100% sure exactly what’s caused it or why. With my shop specifically I’ve seen a steady decline in both traffic and revenue. 2020 was really great for traffic and 2021 traffic basically look like this \ from the start of the year to the end (except in November/December because of Black Friday sale). I’m not sure exactly where advertising dollars are going but I do hope something changes in the near future.

Good luck with your new shop!

5 Likes

Thanks so much for your input @1871_Project! :slight_smile: Agreed, hopefully something does change in the future and we get to see actual results for this increase in marketing spend.

2 Likes

@FontsAvenue my be due to tax amount cutting that seems 50%

1 Like

@Khushbugohil That’s what I initially thought, but when I asked Customer Support, they confirmed that any new shops that join CM will now receive 50% commission vs the previous 60%.

1 Like

@FontsAvenue ohhh😳 50% + tax
This is something new…not sure where they announced this :thinking:

3 Likes

that‘s awful. 50 % :astonished:

2 Likes

Hi @FontsAvenue - when I opened my shop this spring on CM it was 40%. And on another marketplace that I opened a shop on around the same time was 50%…so that % isn’t completely out of whack.

However, the difference is how they promote. The other marketplace continually promotes my products in emails, etc so I don’t mind. They ‘spread the love’ around and the result is more sales that we both benefit from.

In comparison, I don’t think I’ve ever had one of my products featured in an email on CM (one was handpicked but never made it to email). Meanwhile there’s a few other sellers in my category who get handpicked/email featured over and over.

In my opinion, while 50% is a lot, if the marketplace is at least attempting to promote sellers somewhat equally, I don’t mind…but to focus on a few is really unfair…not to mention that it doesn’t make any sense from a business perspective.

6 Likes

@Khushbugohil I am not sure either, I believe it is a recent change.

1 Like

Agreed, I was really excited to join CM until I discovered this. :frowning:

1 Like

Hi @Sofydoll_Designs! Thanks for your input. I agree, 50% is a lot, especially when you don’t really see any changes in traffic/sales. I am hoping something changes in the future in terms of promotion, and that all shops are at the least treated somewhat equally when it comes to commission.

4 Likes

I asked too after seeing this, and it is true, new shops will be paying 50% in commission. I just can’t help but think this will apply to all shops soon, as it doesn’t really seem fair to keep old shops at a higher rate forever. It all seems to be kept quiet as well, without much transparency in terms of commissions. Disappointing to say the least.

6 Likes

I predicted this months ago right in this forum. Crazy watching CM go from a wildly successful, thriving marketplace to this. Truly an eye-opening experience.

10 Likes

somehow i get the feeling that this ship is slowly sinking :frowning: that‘s really sad, as i put really so much work into my shop.

4 Likes

Yip! Agreed @CallieHegstrom And their communication with shop owners leaves a lot to be desired!

4 Likes

While not a competitor to Creative Market, fees on OpenSea are 2.5%. A better future is coming with Web 3.0. Highly recommend learning about the space and getting involved. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I remember you calling this Callie. :crystal_ball:

2 Likes

50% commission for new shops? Looks like the writing is on the wall for the rest of us and it will eventually be rolled out across all shops. I wouldn’t mind so much if there was already some tangible positive results from the initial commission increase to 40%, but as we all know, things have only got worse…

8 Likes

When I started in CM several year ago, it was 70%, then they changed to 60% and now 50%

4 Likes

But maybe this time we, artists and shop owners, can do something about it? I strongly believe that this platform exists only because of us and that we haven’t yet made good use of our collective power.

6 Likes